Wednesday, December 2, 2009

So many things to be Thankful for…

It’s been so long since we’ve spent Thanksgiving in St. Francis and it was the first time the kids have spent the holiday there.  It’s such a long drive out but so worth it.  I know I usually complain when preparing to go but what fabulous memories were made.  I know I’ve said it before, but this far away, edge of Kansas town is a true gift to not only me but especially to my kids.

We started the vacation preparing for the day of thanks.  Darrin making deviled eggs….

IMG_9509 

Tucker and Sawyer making napkin rings….

IMG_9516

IMG_9513IMG_9525 

Porter being Porter …. actually this was one of the rare smiles he showed off the whole week …. the rest of the time – a TOTAL grump….

IMG_9527

Lots of playtime outside… the weather was perfect…

IMG_9574 IMG_9563 

  This is a view from Kurt and Margaret’s living room window.  The first time I went to meet Darrin’s parents, I fell in love with this church.  It’s several miles out in the country and is a perfect symbol of this community … simple yet cherished.  I got to go to a Christmas pageant there several years ago.  No big city production would ever match it.  Perfect….

IMG_9566

IMG_9589 IMG_9607

I have no idea whose kids those are running in a church sanctuary!!!  I mean REALLY!  Where’s their mother?! ….

IMG_9615

Uncle Doug has a real, authentic SURREY!  Though this one doesn’t have the fringe on top, it’s only missing the horse!….

 IMG_9637 IMG_9652 IMG_9670 IMG_9683

IMG_9714

This ‘thing’ got wrapped around Sawyer’s shoe.  At first I thought it was some sort of animal bone.  Evidently, it’s just a weed….Crazy! …IMG_9723 IMG_9733

IMG_9734

Margaret had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago so she wasn’t her usual ‘get down in the dirt and play with the kids’ self.  But she’s doing great and I’m sure the next time we see her she will be outrunning us all again…

IMG_9750 

Grandma Bucholtz has the best toys.  This is the tricycle that she and her brother used to play with when they were little….

IMG_9807

IMG_9815 IMG_9816 IMG_9825 IMG_9827 IMG_9830 IMG_9832 

This tractor is one of my (and the kids’) favorite things on the farm.  It belonged to Margaret’s dad (Great Grandpa Cooper) and on any given summer day you can drive by the farm and see Margaret out on it working her ground :-) ….

IMG_9870IMG_9980IMG_9853 IMG_9851

This was before she fell off of the tractor…

IMG_0032

…and this was …. after she fell off of the tractor….

IMG_0053

another favorite …

IMG_0247

and another, an old chicken coop….

IMG_0271

…one of Tucker’s favorite things about the farm … beloved Katie….

 IMG_9915 IMG_9920

The flower gardens are even beautiful in the fall/ winter ….

IMG_9938

… yeah I know, shame on me!  Here I was trying to be all creative an get some cool pictures of the garden, I look over …. and…. :-) When on the farm…

IMG_9939

There is an annual tradition of a city light parade the Friday night after Thanksgiving.  I remember being at this one other time.  It is such a neat small town tradition.  Any business or organization that wants, can decorate a float and participate.

IMG_0088  IMG_0098

There were golf carts decorated in lights…

IMG_0113

Covered wagons covered in lights….

IMG_0119

The Grinch speeding by….

IMG_0123

A car with a sign reading, “Have you seen the Grinch?”…

IMG_0139

IMG_0132  IMG_0142 IMG_0152 IMG_0159 IMG_0172 

This is the St. Francis movie theatre.  I have always wanted to go to a movie here.  Most everything inside is as it was 50 years ago… 

IMG_0182

ahhhh…. the highlight of the night for the kids….

IMG_0197

This was the first time Sawyer has made it ONTO the lap of the big guy!  Not one tear, not one blood curdling scream!  She’s growing up so fast….

IMG_0204

At first, not too sure….

IMG_0208

Thank goodness for the daddy distraction…

IMG_0214 IMG_0225

Thanksgiving just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without Batman coming over for a visit…

IMG_9762

…and Sawyer bustin’ a move…IMG_9787 IMG_9788IMG_9790

….and naked baby legs….

IMG_9801

3 comments:

Trasie Bressler said...

When we were growing up we called those weed things.....Devil Horns! They are all over Western Kansas

The Wrights said...

So cute and looks like so much fun! Love the picture of Tucker "watering the weeds!" Don't you just love country life and small towns!

the whyte house said...

oh my goodness. take me next time!!
thanks so much for all the work you did to make my bracelet!! i LOVE it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin