Sunday, January 3, 2010

Back to the grind….

Darrin goes back to work tomorrow.  Tucker goes back to school tomorrow.  I get back to setting my alarm for tomorrow morning.  It’s time to get back into a routine.  I was actually quite prepared for all this except the fact that Tucker kept bugging, bugging, BUGGING his dad all day to take him and get him (Tucker) a tie. 

Let me back up a minute…. Today, while ‘un-decorating’ the tree, Tucker asked if he could have a ribbon off of it.  “I want to wear it to school tomorrow to look handsome, Mom.”  I said, “Honey, you don’t need to wear a ribbon to look handsome.  Besides, ribbons are kind of for girls, you know.”  He watches me make these hair bows for little girls and really, REALLY likes them.  He decides to give up on the ribbon thing and starts BEGGING his dad to take him to get a tie.  Darrin finally gives in and the two of them are off on a mission.  I’m thinking the entire time, “For heavens sake, this is ridiculous.  He wants to wear a tie to school tomorrow?  What is my 5 year old, dirt lovin’, mess makin’ child thinking?” 

They get back from the store with a very nice black tie.  He goes immediately into his bedroom to start trying on his outfit for tomorrow.  Mind you, he doesn’t own a single dress shirt that would be suitably worn with a black tie.  He doesn’t care.  He has his favorite (too small) denim button down shirt to ‘go with it’.  As he’s getting ready, Darrin tells me that while they were in the store, Tucker lets on that, “girls wear bows to look pretty and boys wear ties to look pretty … well not pretty but handsome.”  This makes me smile.

Tucker makes his way out of his bedroom and says, “Mom, do you think Ryleigh will think I look handsome?”  My boy likes a girl.  It’s all starting.  Immediately I’m thinking:  Why is he wanting to grow up so fast?  Why aren’t girls gross to him?  Why does he want to start dressing himself?  Will she laugh at him?  I WILL be the only female in his life!!! …. I’m kidding on that one, though I wouldn’t mind …. 

This too shall pass, right???  Even though the tie completely does NOT go with the shirt (although, there is a little Johnny Cash feel to it), he’s the most handsome (little) man I’ve ever met….

IMG_3170 IMG_3172

2 comments:

Trasie Bressler said...

Oh Peter Piper Picked this makes me cry and I'm not even his mother.

Tucker if I was Ryleigh I would think you were the most handsome boy that ever graced preschool. I love ya Tuck!!

The Wrights said...

I am so bummed I missed this! Tuck is so handsome! He's a true ladies man. All the girls in his class love him! (Really, what's not to love, right?) Is Ryleigh worth a tie?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin