Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh what a beautiful morning...or NOT...

The weather is absolutely beautiful on this cool Saturday morning. It's mid-August and it's in the upper 60's! UPPER 60'S! MID-AUGUST! IN KANSAS! The kids and I decided to enjoy the morning out on the deck.

Me, with my cup of coffee....

Sawyer, enjoying her cinnamon toast....

Tucker, on top of the world!....


Porter, playing....


Darrin taking advantage of the cool weather to get the mowing done....


Yeah, well, a little bit of heaven is always followed by a whole lot of reality at the Ross house. As soon as Sawyer saw that Tucker was playing with HER pink basketball, the fight breaks out. I try to break that up as the baby takes a faceplant into the wood deck. I go to help the baby, bump my chair and the coffee spills. Meanwhile, Tucker storms inside and tells his sister, in not so many words, that he 'doesn't like' her. I try to recover my coffee, when Tucker comes back outside and announces that he just locked the door....HE LOCKED THE STINKIN' DOOR!!! All 5 of us are outside and he locked the door!!! Darrin is still going strong on the mower with shorts that have no pockets so I know he doesn't have a key. I'm still in my pj's...translation - no key! We have a spare in the garage -- YES! I go to open the garage door and realize that I just hit the side of the van because on the rare occasion that the van actually makes it into the garage, the fit is so tight that unless you're Flat Stanley, there's no way you're gettin' in. AND unfortunately, the spare is behind the door. Yeah, I'm going to need to find a new hiding place. I decide that I'm going to have to squeeze Tucker through the doggy door. Hey, he's the one who got us into this mess! Before I do, I very slowwwwly, and specifically guide him as to the exact place of the 'hidden key'. He's 4...he's just excited that he gets to go through the doggy door! He had no clue as to what I was saying to him, but he just kept shaking his head, "yes, yes, I know where to look"....right! After 10 minutes of him roaming the ENTIRE garage (thank goodness he never saw Wilbur, our pet toad that lives in the garage...otherwise he'd still be out there playing with him), I finally open the non-automatic side. This is of course, where every single item that won't fit into the house is stored. I've got a crying baby on my hip and I'm trying to play 'hot - cold' with Tucker to guide him to the spare key....I HAVE GOT to teach that kid his left and right!

Finally, success!!!! He finds the key, shimmies back through the doggy door, and gets the back door open!!!! All this time, Darrin is still on the mower and has no idea....this is probably best for the safety of our 4 year old!

So, just a typical, beautiful, Saturday morning in the Ross house! Now I'm off to find a new home for our spare key... :-)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin